What is Reiki?
Receiving Reiki is:• Safe – there are no known contra-indications. Reiki can be received for example during pregnancy, while undergoing treatment for cancer or other medical treatment.
• Gentle - there is no manipulation or strong pressure involved, the practitioners hands are placed gently in contact with the body in a series of pre-determined hand positions. The practitioners hands frequently have a soothing, warming effect that many people find very comforting.
• Non-intrusive – you receive Reiki fully clothed, you can also be covered with a blanket, with the practitioners hands resting on top. There is no medication or anything else to swallow, no substances are put on the skin. Just a warm, gentle touch.
• Flexible – no special equipment is required, Reiki can be given in a room dedicated to healing or in a hospital bed. Clients usually lie down to receive treatment, but Reiki can also be given to someone sitting in a chair or wheelchair. The time of the treatment is usually around an hour, but this can be reduced or extended according to need.
Reiki is not diagnosticReiki practitioners are not trained in diagnosis. If you have concerns about something you should see your doctor. Reiki practitioners will not offer any sort of prognosis or advise on medication as these aspects of your healing are properly handled by doctors. Reiki is here to support your treatment and offer relaxation to improve your well being.
People who receive Reiki report:• Relaxation - many people fall asleep during the treatment and some report that they did not know what relaxation really was until they had received a Reiki treatment. People who enjoy the last part of a yoga class where you lie still and relaxed for several minutes will generally enjoy Reiki!
“I realised I had never relaxed before in my whole life. This was the first experience of true relaxation. The Reiki treatments are very beneficial, Kate is really good at what she does."
• Help with pain - being more relaxed often helps reduce the experience of pain. Touch can also be soothing. Reiki encourages relaxation and involves touch so often leads to reduced pain. People also find that their mental state improves, so even if there is still pain it is more bearable.
"[I] have given Colin several treatments... I forgot to take his painkillers on holiday but thanks to Reiki he managed without and hopefully will continue to do so"
• Feeling less anxious - People often report feeling less anxious after Reiki treatments and a series of treatments can often bring about a mental or emotional shift which leads to reduced anxiety in daily life. The increased energy that Reiki offers could be the reason for this, as we find situations more difficult to deal with when we are tired (think about how young children get upset more easily when they are tired)
"I do not pretend to understand how Reiki works but it has helped to protect and strengthen me through a particularly stressful time. The combination of good Reiki and Kate's warm and wise personality is a powerful force. At its worst - calming and grounding; at its best, a way of improving health and developing a deeper understanding of yourself. Highly recommended!"
• Improved mood - Sometimes life just gets overwhelming and it can become increasingly difficult to do anything. Sadness may result from a particular event or trauma, such as the loss of a loved one, or may result from childhood experiences that are difficult to deal with. The comforting touch offered by Reiki helps to soothe and calm the mind and body. People often experience a lifting of spirits through Reiki and it is achieved without the need to talk, which is sometimes difficult when you are feeling low.
"... the reiki that you gave me... has helped to restore balance and energy back into my life and has made me feel a lot better in the grieving process. Your support, dedication, compassion and understanding has helped me through this dark period in my life - I am beginning to see a glimmer of light on the horizon. For that, thank you is not enough."
• Better sleep - Not only do people who receive Reiki treatments often fall asleep during the session, they frequently find that their sleep is improved afterwards. Better sleep leads to all kinds of health benefits including more energy, better mood and less anxiety to name a few.
"I haven't slept so well for the last ten years! And I am in consequence able to manage my chronic pain so much better"
• Enhanced well being - Better sleep, less pain, improved mood and feeling more relaxed are all very helpful in feeling healthier and happier. Reiki helps people to become more centred which enhances the sense of well being.
" [After four daily Reiki treatments] I feel more grounded, calmer and energetic - I have a more positive attitude to life. Well worth trying and well worth treating yourself to the concentrated dose!"I feel more grounded, calmer and energetic - I have a more positive attitude to life. Well worth trying and well worth treating yourself to the concentrated dose!"
• Stronger self esteem - When a person is happy and healthy they have plenty of energy and enthusiasm for life. This leads to better confidence and self esteem. When we are no longer in a stressful state our creativity increases which can be applied to many different aspects of life, not just the creative arts.
"During my reiki journey with Kate, she has enabled me to come to terms with life experiences... I have found a great emotional release and have a positive attitude towards the future. The reiki treatments have had a profound effect on me. At last I have found peace and happiness. There is much love and light in my life."
I practice and teach the system of Reiki known as Usui Shiki Ryoho. The teachings of this tradition have been passed to me through a lineage of wise teachers, from the founder Mikao Usui, who lived in Japan in the late 1800s to early 1900s. My lineage is:
Go here if you would like to know more about what a session involves and where you can receive Reiki from me